Sunday, October 30, 2016

Reflective Journal - Week 10

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.
I learned about staffing and how difficult it is. I also learned about nursing career development, and what steps it takes to continue career goals. 
2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why?
The team activity of the staffing assignment was hard. It was hard putting 4 heads together to put up a decent schedule. It wasn't super organized by doing it that way. What I realized is that it really ultimately needs to really only involve one person to think hard about it and figure it out, because if you put too many cooks in the kitchen, per se, it is ultimate chaos trying to accomplish the ending goal. 
3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice.
I learned to appreciate more what it takes to develop a schedule. Luckily we didn't have staff complaining about it either. That could make it even more hard. But it is more important to meet the demands of the unit. 
4. You personal feelings about the material covered.
I learned the importance of PRN staff to be used especially when they are needed to fill in the gaps in the schedule. I worked for a unit once that refused to allow me to go to PRN status to meet the demands of my family. So I reached out to my old boss who allowed me to come back and work for her as PRN. After completing this week's activities, I realized that it is important to have that filler staff to ensure that the gaps can be filled when necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment